Role Description: Front of House Manager
The Magic Hat Cafe is looking to appoint an experienced, energetic, well-organised Front Of House (FOH) Manager to work with an established anti-food waste project, using surplus ingredients to feed the community. Enjoying problem solving, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work well under pressure are crucial for this role.
Renovation works have started on our own 80 cover city centre cafe, due to open in February 2021, so this is an exciting time to join a vibrant organisation and contribute to making a positive difference in our city. In addition to providing hot and cold food and drinks, the cafe will also include a market providing food for customers to take home and a hamper delivery service.
Deadline for all applications is midnight Sunday 3rd January 2021 – applications received after this date will not be considered.
Please see the application process below, applications which do not provide the required documents will not be considered.
Interviews will take place on the 18th and 19th January 2021
We will endeavour to contact all applicants as soon as possible to inform them of the status of their application.
We are aiming to open the cafe in mid-February but start dates will be discussed at interview.
If you require any further information, please contact email@example.com
The FOH Managers’ responsibilities will include running the cafe floor, making hot drinks and managing the payment system. You will be able to coordinate a group of volunteers with varied experience levels and delegate tasks to ensure a high level of service is maintained. The cafe is run by volunteers and serves a very diverse audience so this role requires a high level of patience, empathy and the ability to communicate well. In order to raise awareness of the extent and absurdity of food waste, we are looking for someone who believes in our core aims and wants to help create an amazing city-centre food waste cafe.
Please note due to extending our opening hours we are now encouraging job shares for this role i.e. we will consider splitting the role between two successful applicants.
In addition to the regular cafe hours, there will be the option of extra evening and weekend shifts to support our programme of supper clubs, events and external catering bookings.
Responsible to: General Manager
Responsible for: Volunteers working FOH and in the kitchen
Pay and Benefits
- 48 hours per week (9am-5pm, Tues-Sun) – we are encouraging job shares for this role i.e. the 48 hours can be split between two successful candidates (split and shift pattern are negotiable but regular weekend hours should be expected).
- £10-12/hr (£20,800 – £24,960 pro rata), depending on experience.
- Employment term: 12 months, including an initial probationary period of 6 months.
- Loads of free food and fun!
Terms and conditions
The rate of pay offered is £10-12 per hour for work undertaken as indicated in this job description. The post holder is expected to provide reasonable notice to the Magic Hat Cafe if they are unavailable to work. Please note that a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure Certificate will be required for the post, but that a clean DBS certificate is not essential for the role – we will consider applicants with a criminal record on a case-by-case basis.
- Lead on all communications with volunteers and ensure there are adequate numbers of volunteers for each shift.
- Delegate tasks to volunteers taking into account their experience, communication skills and any physical or mental health conditions
- Provide ongoing support to volunteers
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers
- Provide employment references for volunteers and sign training records
- Ensure all volunteers have agreed to the volunteer agreement
- Manage the volunteer database and mailing list, in accordance with GDPR
- Manage volunteer grievances
- Making hot drinks including speciality coffees to an exceptional standard
- Order supplies including ingredients for hot drinks, tableware and cleaning supplies
- Ensure the market is regularly stocked and kept clean and tidy at all times
- Manage orders of hampers including promotion, orders and despatch
- Pack hamper orders to an excellent standard of presentation, liaising with the chef as to which food items can be used
- Cashing up at the end of every day and storing cash in the safe
- Regularly post photos, videos and live streams on social media
- Keep an accurate and up to date record of all cash flow daily
- Keep/Manage an accurate and detailed record of the organisation’s activities to measure the impact of the organisation
- Number of customers visiting the cafe
- Number of meals served
- Number of volunteers and number of volunteer hours
- Keep the FOH space safe and clean during opening hours
- Ask any customers or volunteers behaving antisocially to leave. Adequate training will be provided.
- Record FOH fridge temperatures regularly and maintain a high level of food safety practice
- Attend regular staff appraisals with General Manager
- Interest in, and awareness of, food waste in a commercial setting.
- Ability to work under pressure in a calm and efficient manner, and to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with customers, staff and volunteers from a range of demographics, including those with limited English language skills.
- IT skills to a basic level. Familiar with spreadsheets and social media.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Experience of managing a team
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Barrista Trained
- Experience of demonstrating good management and effective coordination of a cafe/restaurant/hospitality establishment
- Experience of stock taking.
- Level 2 food hygiene or above.
- The deadline for applications is: Sunday 3rd January 2021 (midnight)
- If you are successful in progressing to the interview stage, you will be notified by 8th January 2021
- Interviews will take place on 18th and 19th January 2021, and will be carried out in a COVID-safe manner at the cafe in Newcastle City Centre, or remotely via Zoom.
- We are aiming to open the cafe in mid-February but start dates will be discussed at interview.
If you are interested in applying, please send the following:
- Covering Letter describing your experience of the main duties and how you meet the person specification above (1 page maximum)
- An up-to-date CV (2 pages maximum)
- Your contact phone number
- Contact details for 2 referees
Please either attach the above to an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with an email subject of “Your Name + FOH Manager”
Complete this online application form.